Lucio Del Pezzo, born in Naples in 1933, is a painter and sculptor. He is one of the founders of Group 58, active in Naples and inspired by the Surrealists. His assemblages of materials, ceramics, object-paintings and collages have an ironic and playful aspect, even though they are inspired by metaphysical atmospheres.
In the early sixties he moved to Milan and it was in those years that he exhibited in his first solo show in New York.
In 1964 he worked with Lucio Fontana and Enrico Baj on the creation of the Labirinto del tempo libero for the XIII Triennale in Milan and took part in the Venice Biennale for the first time. In 1966 he was present for the second time at the Venice Biennale, where an entire room was dedicated to him. In the second half of the 1960s he stayed in Max Ernst's old studio in Paris, where he exhibited in 1968.
The first major retrospective exhibitions were held in 1970 and 1974, at the Pilotta in Parma and at the Rotonda della Besana in Milan. He works as a graphic designer for Olivetti and Renault. He was given important retrospectives in the following years, including the one in Darmstadt in 2000.
In 2001 he designed some ceramic reliefs and a bronze for two stations on the new Naples underground.